Base Camp Available Volunteer Positions
Base Camp positions do not require previous experience. Volunteer Orientation is required for all Base Camp positions.
Sign up for
Position #1: Goat Walker
This position includes walking goats along fence lines to trim weeds and vegetation.
Position #2: Goat Pen Cleaner
This position includes deep cleaning the goat shed and goat pen area.
Position #3: Chicken Coop Cleaner
This position includes deep cleaning the chicken coop area.
Position #4: Donkey Pen Cleaner
This position includes cleaning/mucking the donkey pen.
Horse Corral Available Volunteer Positions
These positions work under the direct supervision of Backcountry Horse Staff. Volunteer Orientation is required for all Horse Corral positions.
Sign up for
Position #1: Horse Pen Cleaner
This position includes assisting with paddock cleaning/mucking.
Prior Experience: No horse experience required. General horse care and safety knowledge preferred.
Position #2: Horse Groomer
This position includes assisting with grooming horses, as well as helping with position #1 duties.
Prior Experience: Three months horse experience or completion of Basic Horsemanship 1 required.
Position #3: Riding Lesson Assistant
This position includes assisting Backcountry Horse Staff with horse programs, as well as helping with position #1 and #2 duties.
Prior Experience: Six months of horse experience required.
Property Care/Maintenance Volunteer Positions
Position #1: Water Hauler
- Age 21 and over only, must be able to provide proof of vehicle insurance and driver’s license with clean driving record.
- This position will haul water using our truck and 1,000-gallon water trailer to the various water tanks throughout the property that provide water for wildlife.
- Minimum commitment is a regularly scheduled shift, at least 4 hours in one day, every other week; Tuesday-Saturdays only. April-August with more intermittent times in September/October.
- Must have some experience pulling a trailer
Position #2: Laborer
- Various maintenance duties around Base Camp and the Archery Range and occasionally some duties within the restricted area of the Backcountry
- Examples include: watering trees, moving mulch, mowing, trimming, general upkeep of various amenities, painting, cleaning.
- Other duties may be assigned according to skills and abilities
Position #3: Trail Maintenance
- A regular schedule is not mandatory for this position.
- Volunteer would perform routine trail maintenance using hand tools. Includes improving rolling grade dips, general surface maintenance, and drainage. Also includes trimming brush to improve sight lines.
- Volunteers must either be supervised by staff, or trained by staff and then work independently.
- Groups are welcome, along with group volunteer days.
- We provide the tools.
Position #4: Archery Range Maintenance
Various maintenance duties around the archery range including target maintenance and replacement, trimming, general clean up and other tasks as assigned.
Position #1: Parking Attendant
- Assist event coordinators with parking vehicles at Base Camp and nearby parking lot.
- Assist event attendees with guidance toward the event.